Japanese Nuclear Crisis Situation

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Japanese Nuclear Crisis Situation

Post by Sporadic on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 pm

IAEA Briefing on Fukushima Nuclear Accident (30 March 2011, 16.30 UTC)

On Wednesday, 30 March 2011, the IAEA provided the following information on the current status of nuclear safety in Japan.

1. Current Situation

Overall at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, the situation remains very serious.

With respect to the water that is present in the turbine buildings. In Unit 1, water has continued to be pumped into the condenser with 3 pumps (6.5 ton/hour each) and the water level has reduced from 40cm to 20cm. In Unit 2 from 07.45 UTC, pumping of water from the Condensate Storage Tank into the Surge Tank was started so that the that condenser can be drained to the Condensate Storage Tank and contaminated water can be pumped out from the Turbine building into the condenser. The same process of pumping the water from the Condensed Water Storage Tank into the Surge Tank was started on Unit 3 at 08.40 UTCon March 28.

Near the Unit 3 building, 3 workers spilled water over themselves when removing a flange from seawater pipes on the residual heat removal system (RHR). After showering, contamination was not detected.

Fresh water has been continuously injected into the Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV) through feed-water line at an indicated flow rate of 8.0 m3/h at Unit 1. The pumping of freshwater into the RPV has been switched from fire trucks to temporary electrical pumps with diesel generator. At Units 2 and 3 fresh water is being injected continuously through the fire extinguisher line at an indicated rate of 7 m3/h using a temporary electric pump.

The indicated temperature at the feed water nozzle of the RPV of Unit 1 has decreased from 323 oC to 281 oC and at the bottom of RPV remained stable at 134 oC. There is a corresponding decrease in Drywell pressure. At Unit 2 the indicated temperature at the feed water nozzle of the RPV has increased from 154 oC to 177 oC and at the bottom of RPV has increased from 78 oC to 88 oC. Indicated Drywell pressure remains at atmospheric pressure. For Unit 3 the indicated temperature at the feed water nozzle of the RPV is about 75 oC and at the bottom of RPV is about 116 oC. The validity of the RPV temperature measurement at the feed water nozzle is still under investigation.

With respect to the Spent Fuel Pools. It was planned to commence the pumping of water into the Unit 1 Spent Fuel Pool by concrete pumping truck from 29 March. Also on 29 March pumping of fresh water into the Unit 2 spent fuel pool commenced via a temporary electrical pump. The temperature of the spent fuel pool is 46o C as of 19:00 UTC 29 March. For Unit 4 it was planned to commence pumping freshwater into the spent fuel pool on March 29. The IAEA has not received information on implementation of spraying activities in units 1 and 4.

Units 5 and 6 remain in cold shutdown

2. Radiation Monitoring

The majority of the recently measured radioactivity levels in drinking water are being reported below the levels established by the Japanese authorities which are 100 Bq/L of I-131 for infants; 300 Bq/L for adults and 200 Bq/L of Cs-137 for infants and adults. Previously imposed recommendations for restrictions on drinking water are being lifted in most of the affected locations. As of 28 March, recommendations for restrictions based on I-131 concentration remain in place in one village in the Fukushima prefecture. In three other locations of the Fukushima prefectures, restrictions continue to apply for infants only.

Two IAEA teams are currently monitoring radiation levels and radioactivity in the environment in Japan. On 29 March, one team made gamma dose-rate measurements in the Tokyo region at 8 locations. Gamma-dose rates measured ranged from 0.02 to 0.19 microsievert per hour, which is within or slightly above the background.

The second team made additional measurements at distances of 32 to 62 km, at directions North to Northwest from the Fukushima nuclear power plant. At these locations, the dose rates ranged from 0.5 to 6.8 microsievert per hour. At the same locations, results of beta-gamma contamination measurements ranged from 0.05 to 0.45 Megabecquerel per square metre.

Based on measurements of I-131 and Cs-137 in soil, sampled from 18 to 26 March in 9 municipalities at distances of 25 to 58 km from the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, the total deposition of iodine-131 and cesium-137 has been calculated. The results indicate a pronounced spatial variability of the total deposition of iodine-131 and cesium-137. The average total deposition determined at these locations for iodine-131 range from 0.2 to 25 Megabecquerel per square metre and for cesium-137 from 0.02-3.7 Megabecquerel per square metre. The highest values were found in a relatively small area in the Northwest from the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant. First assessment indicates that one of the IAEA operational criteria for evacuation is exceeded in Iitate village. We advised the counterpart to carefully access the situation. They indicated that they are already assessing.

As far as food contamination is concerned, 35 samples taken from 25-29 March, and reported on 29 March, for various vegetables, fruit (strawberry), seafood, pork and unprocessed raw milk in nine prefectures (Chiba, Gunma, Ibaraki, Kanagawa, Nagano, Niigata, Saitama, Tochigi and Yamagata), stated that results for iodine-131, caesium-134 and caesium-137 were either not detected or were below the regulation values set by the Japanese authorities.

The Joint FAO/IAEA Food Safety Assessment Team met with local government officials in Tochigi prefecture on 29th March and provided advice related to contamination of food and the environment.

Local government officials briefed the FAO/IAEA Team on the extent of contamination in Tochigi, the principle agricultural products affected, the main production areas and production methods (greenhouses, open-air), levels of contamination found (principally in air, tap/ground water and vegetables) and imminent plans to monitor soil contamination. A field visit also took place to a spinach producer outside Utsanomiya City.

Based on these latest discussions with the Tochigi authorities, it is apparent that the focus of the Joint FAO/IAEA mission has changed to some extent from the mechanisms of contamination to remediation strategies and techniques related to plant and animal production, food traceability and water/soil characterization.

The FAO/IAEA team is also meeting with the local government officials in Gunma prefecture today.

No new results from the marine monitoring stations 30 km off-shore as well as from close to the discharge, were reported since 27 March.

One IAEA staff member of the Monaco marine laboratory will fly to Japan on 31 March in order to join the Japanese team assessing marine environment.

The IAEA continues activities under the Joint Radiation Emergency Management Plan of the International Organisations through regular video/teleconferences. As of March 30 the WHO liaison officer is working in the IEC.

In response to the request for data on measurement, the IEC has received information from Singapore. The Singapore Authorities have sent reports on measurements in food imported from Japan (cabbages). Some samples were over the Codex Alimentarius values recommended for international trade. In Singapore no increase in gamma dose rates have been observed and no fission products have been found in air samples.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Birthday : 1988-05-17

http://nolimitclan.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 am

Update, 30-Mar-2011, 1500 UTC

”We have to find a way out of the contradictory missions” of the incoming water (attempt to cool the fuel) and the removal of contaminated water (leaking out, filling the basements and interconnecting trenches).

The statement above, sums it up. It’s like dumping water into a sieve, except what comes out is extremely radioactive and they are rapidly running out of places to put it. Excess is now running into the ocean where levels of more than 3,000 times the limit are being measured near the drainage outlets of the plant.

The Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan has suggested digging a pool outside the turbine buildings in case the pumped contaminated water exceeds the capacity of the tanks (drainage tanks – which are apparently nearly full).

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano also indicated that all six reactors at the plant should be scrapped. Nishiyama (spokesman for the governmental nuclear regulatory body) said it is expected to take at least 20 years to finish the procedures to decommission the six-reactors. Katsumata (chairman of TEPCO) said TEPCO considers it as an option to cover the troubled reactors with ”stone coffins” made of concrete and iron.

MvRaM
Contributer

Birthday : 1989-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 am

The only thing is not letting the cores melt through too much before they sarcophagus them in concrete. If the rods empty then become molten corium then it can still melt through the concrete. During the interaction between corium and concrete, very high temperatures can be achieved. Materials based on titanium dioxide and neodymium oxide seem to be more resistant to corium than concrete.

The problem is that there's not even enough concrete in Japan to handle the job. To accomplish such a task, Japan would have to import not only thousands of pieces of industrial concrete-handling trucks and machinery; it would also have to import concrete materials by the ship-load. We're talking about millions of tons of concrete materials, shipped in by ocean, from all over the world.

Has anybody done the math on how long that will take to coordinate? Just getting the materials shipped to Japan within 30 days would be a miracle. And you can't just plop down concrete and hope it sticks: You have to engineer the concrete effort so that it can resist future tsunamis and earthquakes.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:51 am

Richard Lahey, who was head of safety research for boiling-water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at Fukushima, said workers at the site appeared to have "lost the race" to save the reactor, but said there was no danger of a Chernobyl-style catastrophe.

Workers have been pumping water into three reactors at the stricken plant in a desperate bid to keep the fuel rods from melting down, but the fuel is at least partially exposed in all the reactors.

At least part of the molten core, which includes melted fuel rods and zirconium alloy cladding, seemed to have sunk through the steel "lower head" of the pressure vessel around reactor two, Lahey said.

"The indications we have, from the reactor to radiation readings and the materials they are seeing, suggest that the core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel in unit two, and at least some of it is down on the floor of the drywell," Lahey said. "I hope I am wrong, but that is certainly what the evidence is pointing towards."

The major concern when molten fuel breaches a containment vessel is that it reacts with the concrete floor of the drywell underneath, releasing radioactive gases into the surrounding area. At Fukushima, the drywell has been flooded with seawater, which will cool any molten fuel that escapes from the reactor and reduce the amount of radioactive gas released.

Lahey said: "It won't come out as one big glob; it'll come out like lava, and that is good because it's easier to cool."

The drywell is surrounded by a secondary steel-and-concrete structure designed to keep radioactive material from escaping into the environment. But an earlier hydrogen explosion at the reactor may have damaged this.

"The reason we are concerned is that they are detecting water outside the containment area that is highly radioactive and it can only have come from the reactor core," Lahey added. "It's not going to be anything like Chernobyl, where it went up with a big fire and steam explosion, but it's not going to be good news for the environment."

The radiation level at a pool of water in the turbine room of reactor two was measured recently at 1,000 millisieverts per hour. At that level, workers could remain in the area for just 15 minutes, under current exposure guidelines.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm

BAD NEWS FOR MY STATE, also i feel bad about the people working in the plants as i write this.

Update, 31-Mar-2011, 1600 UTC

The International Atomic Energy Agency reports that radiation levels beyond the Fukushima evacuation perimeter are currently double that of threshold levels that were established for Chernobyl evacuation.

Officials Say Radioactivity at Crippled Japan Nuke Plant Is 10,000 Times Above Gov’t Standard

Workers at the Fukushima nuclear plant say they expect to die from radiation sickness as a result of their efforts to bring the reactors under control, the mother of one of the men said.

“They have concluded between themselves that it is inevitable some of them may die within weeks or months. They know it is impossible for them not to have been exposed to lethal doses of radiation.”

Iodine tainted milk discovered in Washington state and California with extremely low levels of radiation. The I-131 isotope has a very short half-life of about eight days, so the level detected in milk and milk products is expected to drop relatively quickly.

Seems to me this is getting bad, so 2012 doesn't seem that far if things don't get fix.
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 pm

I have so much respect for those guys who sacrifice themselves to get the reactors under controll.. I sure as hell wouldnt have done it.
Bato
Contributer

Birthday : 1991-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Source? Cause I read the IAEA website and haven't read anything like this yet.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 pm

try this. http://modernsurvivalblog.com/nuclear/west-coast-usa-danger-if-japan-nuclear-reactor-meltdown/
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 pm

Yeah everything is said IF meltdown. The only guy I read saying that was speculating. But he was head of safety research for boiling-water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at Fukushima. So when this guy speculates based of radiation levels and different types of exposure he assessed there had to be one reactor going into full meltdown that they're not telling us about.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Btw i been hearing in my local news, something about San Onofre hiding the fact that is not as safe as it should be. If you don't know what I'm talking about. San Onofre is one of the power plants we have in the west down by San Diego, you should know spor you used to live down there.

Also as I'm writting this down, i saw an article on my local news, about the contaminated milk found in California. With iodide radiation.

Scary stuff is happening here. I need to start doing my research so that i don't freak out.
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:57 am

Japan's Nuclear Rescuers: 'Inevitable Some of Them May Die Within Weeks'

By Dominic Di-Natale

Published March 31, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/31/japans-nuclear-rescuers-inevitable-die-weeks/#ixzz1IEy7dVGh

Workers at the disaster-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan say they expect to die from radiation sickness as a result of their efforts to bring the reactors under control, the mother of one of the men tells Fox News.

The so-called Fukushima 50, the team of brave plant workers struggling to prevent a meltdown to four reactors critically damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, are being repeatedly exposed to dangerously high radioactive levels as they attempt to bring vital cooling systems back online.

Speaking tearfully through an interpreter by phone, the mother of a 32-year-old worker said: “My son and his colleagues have discussed it at length and they have committed themselves to die if necessary to save the nation.

“He told me they have accepted they will all probably die from radiation sickness in the short term or cancer in the long-term.”

The woman spoke to Fox News on the condition of anonymity because, she said, plant workers had been asked by management not to communicate with the media or share details with family members in order to minimize public panic.
Related Video

video

High Levels of Radiation Found Outside Evacuation Zone in Japan

Radiation slowing recovery of victims

Related Links
Radiation 10,000 Times Government Standard at Japan Nuclear Plant

Protesters hold placards during an antinuclear rally in Tokyo Sunday, March 27, 2011. Leaked water in Unit 2 of the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant measured 10 million times higher than usual radioactivity levels when the reactor is operating normally, Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Takashi Kurita told reporters in Tokyo. The placards has a message that reads "We don't need nuclear plant." (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye) slideshow

Japan is dealing with a major nuclear crisis following the deadly magnitude 9 earthquake and subsequent tsunami.

She could not confirm if her son or other workers were already suffering from radiation sickness. But she added: “They have concluded between themselves that it is inevitable some of them may die within weeks or months. They know it is impossible for them not to have been exposed to lethal doses of radiation.”

The plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (or TEPCO), says medical teams conduct regular testing on the restoration workers for signs of contamination-related illness. It claims there have been no further cases following the three workers who were treated last week after coming into direct contact with radioactive water. There are no reports of new members of the Fukushima 50 developing radiation sickness.

Although two suffered radiation burns to their legs and ankles and absorbed radiation internally, they have since been released from the hospital and are regularly being checked for signs of any deterioration in their condition, says TEPCO.

The company has pledged to improve the tough conditions for workers who stay on the site due to the short turnaround of shifts on safety grounds.

Some restorers directly tackling the problems with the fuel rod containment chambers are limited to 15 minutes at a time inside the reactor buildings or working near highly radioactive substances, including traces of plutonium that have appeared at numerous locations within the plant complex.

Living conditions for the hundreds of employees staying within the plant’s perimeter to support the restoration efforts are also equally as hazardous, say the authorities.

Banri Kaieda, the interior minister who also acts as a deputy head of the nuclear disaster task force jointly set up by the government and TEPCO, said 500 to 600 people were at one point lodging in a building within the complex. He told a media conference it was “not a situation in which minimum sleep and food could be ensured.”

Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says that workers were only eating two basic meals of crackers and dried rice a day, and sleeping in conference rooms and hallways in the building.

According to Kaieda, not all of the workers had apparently been provided with lead sheeting to shield themselves from potentially radiation-contaminated floors while sleeping.

“My son has been sleeping on a desk because he is afraid to lie on the floor. But they say high radioactivity is everywhere and I think this will not save him,” said the mother of the worker who spoke to Fox News.

Meanwhile, bad weather has delayed TEPCO's plans to limit the spread of radiation from the plant. It has intended to spray a water-soluble resin to affix radioactive particles and substances to the debris sent scattered across the devastated complex to prevent it from being dispersed by wind and moisture.

It will now attempt on Friday test the synthetic solution using remote control vehicles to spray an area of 95,000 square yards at reactors four and six. The company hopes the resin will provide sufficient protection to allow restoration workers better access to areas critical to restoring the reactors' cooling systems to prevent a meltdown.

Growing pools of dangerously radioactive water and deposits of plutonium have been inhibiting access to important parts of the plant.

A large sea tanker is also being prepared to siphon and ship the water from the plant after it was discovered that run-off containers and drainage tanks were almost full at three of the most critical reactors.

The government says it has yet to be decided where they will dispose of that water.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/31/japans-nuclear-rescuers-inevitable-die-weeks/#ixzz1IExXVZTK

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 am

Update, 01-Apr-2011, 0100 UTC

World’s largest concrete pump heading from South Carolina to Japan aboard the world’s largest cargo plane, a Russian Antonov 225.

Iodine-131 at a concentration of 4,385 times the maximum level permitted under law has been detected in a seawater sample collected about one-fifth mile South of the plant on Wednesday afternoon, exceeding the previous high recorded the day before.

Wednesday’s sampling also revealed cesium-137, which has a half-life of 30 years, at a level 527 times higher than the legal standard.

Dr John Price, a former member of the Safety Policy Unit at the UK’s National Nuclear Corporation has warned that it might be 100 years before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant.

MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Update, 01-Apr-2011, 1630 UTC

The EPA RadNet is indicating Beta-Gross-Count-Rate (CPM) numbers that appear somewhat higher than they have been in a few locations noted below, while the rest of the network location numbers appear similar to what they’ve been on average. Still though, it is interesting to note the slight changes.

Los Angeles: 81, 105
Sacramento: 69
Reno: 169
Las Vegas: 173
Tucson: 158

Nothing terribly new from Fukushima at the moment. Huge concrete pump en-route (reportedly to retrofit for water? – thought it would’ve been used to begin burying the mess).

TEPCO has apparently been ‘caught’ and scolded for under-reporting some of their previous radiation numbers – groundwater.

Not enough dosimeters to go around for all workers.
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 pm

American Airlines Diverts Plane after Illness with Passengers

April 1, 2011 by radiationfears Leave a Comment

As the story goes we’ll never know what radiation really does to our bodies, but we know it’s responsible for short term and long issues. It’s evident that something happened this morning on an American Airlines flight 547 bound for Chicago’s O’hare International from Reagan National in Washington D.C. The flight was diverted after more than a half dozen passengers complained of illness and one actually having an asthma attack on the plane and two others being treated at local hospitals in Dayton. The plane was diverted to the Dayton Airport in Ohio.

What are the chances that this is a result of a radioactive plume from Fukushima? That’s a great question, but it’s safe to say there is a good chance it is. These plumes are traveling in our upper atmosphere and a plane doesn’t stand in the way or deter these plumes. If you’ve seen any of the recent plume maps you’ll know that Xenon 133 was expected to be in larger quantities in the atmosphere above the area. As we learn more information we will update the story. This story is continuing to unfold. We hope that it’s nothing more than a few anxious people, but from initial reports that’s not the situation.
A plume map of Xenon 133 in the atmosphere:

MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 pm

http://ale10friendsforjapan.org/

All the money he raises goes to the Japanese red cross. Smile
Bato
Contributer

Birthday : 1991-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Cool. They still need more, billions more.
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Said potential releases though. Still something to keep in mind. And yo that plane shit is crazy. Ima try and find an article on it.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 am

Sporadic wrote:Said potential releases though. Still something to keep in mind. And yo that plane shit is crazy. Ima try and find an article on it.

Yeah that plane thing scared me.
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Update, 02-Apr-2011, 1930 UTC

It has been discovered that radioactive water has been leaking from a crack (about 8 inches wide) in the wall of a maintenance pit between the No. 2 Reactor and the ocean, a pit that contains power cables near the reactor’s water intake used to power pumps.

The radiation level has been measured at over 1,000 milisieverts per hour at the water leak.

TEPCO says it is preparing to pour concrete into the cracked pit to stop the radioactive water leak.

Update, 03-Apr-2011, 1800 UTC

Saturday’s attempts to plug the crack with concrete failed. Preparations underway to inject a type of polymer into the pit in its latest effort to block the leaking water.

The Japanese government said Sunday it will be several months before the radiation stops and permanent cooling systems are restored.

MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 pm

IAEA Briefing on Fukushima Nuclear Accident (3 April 2011, 12:00 UTC)

Presentation:
→ Summary of Reactor Status

On Sunday, 3 April 2011, the IAEA provided the following information on the current status of nuclear safety in Japan:

1. Current Situation

Overall at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, the situation remains very serious.

On 2 April, transferring of water from the Unit 1 condenser storage tank to the surge tank of the suppression pool was completed in preparation for transferring water in the basement of the Unit 1 turbine building to the condenser. Also, on 2 April transferring of water from the Unit 2 condenser storage tank to the surge tank of the suppression pool was started in preparation for transferring water in the basement of the Unit 1 turbine building to the condenser.

A second US Navy barge arrived on 2 April carrying fresh water to be transferred to the "filtered water tank".

TEPCO has identified a possible leakage path from the Turbine building of Unit 2 to the sea via a series of trenches/tunnels used to provide power to the sea water intake pumps and supply of service water to the reactor and turbine buildings. As of 2 April, 07:25 UTC, the pouring of concrete was started in an attempt to stop the water leakage. As of 2 April, 10:15 UTC, pouring of concrete had ceased and no significant decrease in the rate of leakage was observed. There is a plan to inject polymer to attempt to stop the leakage. TEPCO announced on 2 April that, following the detection of highly contaminated water leaking through a crack found in a pit near Unit 2, they had added 3 additional sampling points at 15 km from Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daiini.

Fresh water has been continuously injected into the Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV) of Unit 1 through the feed-water line at an indicated flow rate of 8 m3/h using a temporary electric pump with diesel backup. Fresh water is being injected continuously into the RPVs in Units 2 and 3 at indicated rates of 9 m3/h and 7 m3/h respectively through the fire extinguisher lines using temporary electric pumps with diesel backup.

In Unit 1 the indicated temperature at the feed water nozzle of the RPV is relatively stable at 259 °C and at the bottom of RPV at 117 °C. The RPV pressure indications are fluctuating and Drywell pressure is slightly decreasing. In Unit 2 the indicated temperature at the feed water nozzle of the RPV has decreased slightly from 161 °C to 153 °C. The temperature at the bottom of RPV was not reported. Indicated Drywell pressure remains at atmospheric pressure. The indicated temperature at the feed water nozzle of the RPV in Unit 3 is stable at 118 °C and at the bottom of the RPV is about 92 °C. The validity of the RPV temperature measurement at the feed water nozzle is still under investigation.

Injection of water into the spent fuel pool in Unit 2 using the temporary pump was restarted on 1 April.

Units 5 and 6

Both units remain in cold shutdown with plant systems operating on off-site AC power.

Common Spent Fuel Storage Facility

The Common Spent Fuel Pool temperature is stable. TEPCO tested an "anti-scattering" agent (2 000 l) on 500 m2 area around the Common Spent Fuel Storage facility on 1t April. The purpose of spraying is to prevent radioactive particles from being dispersed from the plant by winds and rain.

2. Radiation Monitoring

On 2 April, deposition of iodine-131 was detected in 7 prefectures ranging from 4 to 95 becquerel per square metre. Deposition of cesium-137 in 6 prefectures was reported on 2 April ranging from 15 to 47 becquerel per square metre. Reported gamma dose rates in the 45 prefectures showed no significant changes compared to yesterday.

Most of the previously imposed recommendations for restrictions on drinking water have been lifted. As of 2 April, one recommendation for the restriction based on iodine-131 concentration was in place in one village in the Fukushima prefecture, which applied for infants only. Meanwhile, also in this village, the iodine-131 level in drinking water has dropped below 100 becquerel per litre, which is the recommended restriction level for intake by infants. The restriction is still in place as a precautionary measure of the local authority.

Currently, one IAEA monitoring team is working in the Fukushima region. On 2 April, measurements were made at 7 locations at distances of 32 to 62 km, North and Northwest to the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The dose rates ranged from 0.6 to 4.5 microsievert per hour. At the same locations, results of beta-gamma contamination measurements ranged from 0.09 to 0.46 megabecquerel per square metre.

3. BWR Experts

The two agency experts in BWR technology have arrived in Japan. The objective of this expert visit is to have a direct exchange of views with the Japanese counterparts.

4. TEPCO Employees

TEPCO had been investigating two employees who had been missing since the earthquake of 11 March. On 2 April NISA reported that on the afternoon of 30 March the two employees were found dead in the -1 Level of the Turbine Building of Unit 4.

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:16 pm

This has nothing to do with the radiation, but it is basically has to do with the workers.

Two workers have been found dead, they had been missing sense the 11th of March.

They only have been found now, reason because of the radiation. If i ever find the info again i will post it, i kind of dint want to post that here, but i think we should at least do it in memory of them.

Again this has nothing to do with radiation, it was because of the Tsunami, they seem to have been stuck in the control rooms or something like that.

MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 am

Update, 04-Apr-2011, 1630 UTC

Dumped 11,500 tons of low-level radioactive water in the Pacific Ocean from near Reactor 5 and 6, to make room for disposal of highly radioactive water from No. 2.

Arnie Gundersen speculates that periodic fission is occurring in Reactor 1 based on Neutron detection, chlorine-38 detection and extra heat (95% of which comes from fission). As they flood it with water, the chain reaction begins – boils off the water – then stops. “They need to add boron to the water to stop the chain reaction.”

Reactor 1
Reactor Pressure Vessel temperature, 242 C (467 F) at feed water line nozzle.

Reactor 2
Reactor Pressure Vessel temperature, 139 C (282 F) at feed water line nozzle.

Poured a polymer absorbent as a measure for stopping the water leakage from the pit (no effect)

Reactor 3
Spent Fuel Pool Thermography temperature, 56 C (132 F)

Reactor 4
Spent Fuel Pool Thermography temperature, 32 C (90 F)
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Robi on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:14 am

Thank god I got the news so I dont have to read this all lol.
But nice effort.
Robi
Contributer

Birthday : 1995-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 am

If you kept up on it daily like everyone else it's not a lot of reading. Same would imply if you went into the Epic Screen Shot thread and said, "Wow I'm glad I have google images I'd hate to look at all of these."

Sporadic
Webmaster
Digital Disaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MvRaM on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 am

Update, 05-Apr-2011, 1600 UTC

TEPCO spotted a crack in the pit and started infusing liquid glass into gravel below the pit near the Number 2 reactor.

Of highest concern, water samples taken near the water intake of the No. 2 reactor contained 1.1 million times the legal limit of cesium 137, which has a half life of 30 years. You might want to take a Geiger counter with you to check the fish, next time you go out to eat… (In all seriousness though, this will obviously affect local fishing and distribution in the area for many years to come.)

Seems like the EPA summary page has the same same copy-and-paste sentence listed for each day:
“EPA’s RadNet radiation air monitors across the U.S. show typical fluctuations in background radiation levels. The levels detected are far below levels of concern.”
MvRaM
Contributer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top